Thank you for signing up for the Self-Publishing Weekend on Whidbey, August 18-19 at Pacific Northwest Art School in Coupeville. We look forward to meeting everyone and to the opportunity to help you realize your goal of moving from writer to author this summer.
Here are a few notes and housekeeping details for the weekend.
- The Pacific Northwest Art School is located at 15 N.W. Birch in Coupeville, half a block from our only traffic light. There’s plenty of parking next to the building or on the street. A map is attached for your convenience.
- Friday evening, we’ll have an optional no-host gathering at 6:00 p.m. at Kim’s Café on the Coupeville Wharf to get acquainted and start the conversations rolling. Kim’s Café is included on the map. If the weather’s good, we can sit on the wharf and enjoy the lovely view. If there’s rain, we’ll duck inside. Kim serves beer, wine, other beverages and a menu of Asian and American dishes for those who want a little supper. Saturday evening, we’ll have a similar optional gathering at Kim’s or another of Coupeville’s restaurants. We’ll announce this on Saturday.
- Because allergies are a problem for some (and we’ve had an especially bad season on the island), please make this a fragrance-free gathering.
- We’ll have bottled water available and some light snacks. Feel free to bring your coffee, tea or soda with you. If you want something to nibble, that’s fine, too. We’ll take a lunch break so you can get out and head for one of Coupeville’s restaurants or enjoy lunch al fresco if you bring your own. We have a refrigerator available for lunches.
- Temperatures can vary on the island and we suggest you bring a sweater or jacket in case the weather turns cool. Also, if you need a softer chair, please bring a cushion. The chairs at the school are comfortable, but not padded.
- We’ll have a display table for books participants may already have published. Please bring ONE copy of your book for display. We won’t be including a formal book sale as part of the weekend. The idea is to let others see samples of self-published books, yours included if you have one. Also, we have a bulletin board where you can post business cards, etc.
- We’ll ask that cell phones be turned off during the presentations. Also, because our materials are copyrighted and we have other contractual arrangements, we ask that no audio or video recordings be made of the presentations.
- The weekend officially kicks off at 8:00 a.m. Saturday, August 18. The first session, “Getting the Words Right,” begins promptly at 9:00 a.m., so please plan accordingly. The last session of the day, “Getting the Process Right,” is scheduled to end at 4:00 p.m. Sunday we’ll be there at 8:30 a.m. and the first session, “Getting the Marketing Right,” will begin at 9:00 a.m. The last session is a panel discussion and will end at 4:00 p.m. on Sunday. This leaves time each day for informal consultations and conversations.
If you have questions, don’t hesitate to be in touch before Friday, August 17. We’ll do good work together and have fun while we do it. A workshop is not all work!
Tom, Wynn & Molly